Student Motivation

Student Motivation 

When a rallying cry is in mind and the right team is ready, a blended-learning classroom is ready to take off. Student motivation is very important, especially while learning a language. If students can be motivated to learn, deeper learning and more success will take place. Student willingness is key and will allow them to learn. Much like big companies need to look into what their customers are interested in, we as teachers must look inside our students' minds and see what will get them motivated. A teacher may be able to bring the newest technology, tools, methods, or activities, but before those things are put into place, the students must have an intrinsic motivation to learn. The following graphic shows 9 steps to inspire motivation, which are important while planning and creating classroom activities.

According to Horn and Stacker (2015), students must feel successful, and then have fun with friends. Keeping these two points in mind for my own classroom, I must think about how I can help my students feel this way. To allow my students to grow in these two areas, I need to first know my students and what they are interested in. I will need to know their backgrounds, personalities, interests, and provide a classroom environment that will allow them a lot of choice and freedom as to what they would like to learn. If I am able to personalize the students' learning in a way they are allowed choice, they will be excited to learn and come to class every day. This will also help them succeed. When lessons are adapted to their interests and learning levels, success will be achievable and not seen as an obstacle. My goal as a teacher is to provide such an environment that students are happy to come to school every day. 

Relationships are also important in guiding students to a higher motivation level. Just as I am excited to see my good friends or favorite coworkers, students feel the same. The classroom should be a place where they feel comfortable, safe, and accepted. In a situation that has different learners and backgrounds, I like to make each individual feel appreciated for who they are and that they have something unique to contribute to the group. To optimize relationships, I can make sure to incorporate meaningful and positive experiences. In this sense, it is important for me to teach tolerance, so all students are able to work with different personalities under various circumstances.

In order to be more successful in motivating my students to learn, I can work with my students in a more active way. Morning greetings and meetings are a great way to start the day for young students. This allows me to see how each student is when they enter the classroom and allow them to be heard. In addition, blended learning can help to provide small group time and attention to all students. One model I strive for in my classroom is the station-rotation and flex models. These will allow my students to advance at a pace that is right for them and to have their own goals and “just right” activities. Within this model, which is more focused on the individuals, I can meet frequently with my students and motivate them. When their learning is personalized, it is easier to motive the students with providing them with actionable data and rapid feedback.
DistWebPage-IMGs-1500x1000_LowTech Centers
This graphic shows a low tech center model classroom. I hope to provide this setup with my students in the upcoming school year. This will allow students to be working at their appropriate learning level, set goals, and meet frequently with the teacher. My goal with this model is to help motivate students to be more successful and provide positive experiences with their peers. 

It is also important for me to consider in my classroom that all of my students are learning English as a foreign language. This can allow challenges to arise because not all students are motivated to learn English. Blended learning can also assist in motivating students. Sulisworo (2018) states, "blended learning improves the learning access to materials and learning activities, and it can support and enhance the role of teachers, the experiences of the students and the social environment." Sulisworo believes when a blended learning model is applied to an English learning classroom, students will be more interested and motivated to learn because they have a combination of different language practice activities. This was found to be more successful than learning from a textbook, as most language classes are seen. The blended learning model provides better learning experiences and outcomes for the students. This helps motivate me as a teacher to bring about a variety of activities within a blended classroom. 

References:

Horn, Michael B. and Staker, Heather. (2015). Blended: Using Disruptive Innovation to Improve Schools (1st ed.), San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass

Sulisworo, Dwi. “Blended Learning: Improving Student's Motivation in English Teaching Learning Process.” International Journal of Languages' Education, vol. 1, no. Volume 6 Issue 1, 2018, pp. 163–170., doi:10.18298/ijlet.2434.

Comments